Well I got a new error today other day on one of our domain controllers after doing a restart. A bit of a bug in Windows 2003 SP1 and easy enough to fix. The error is:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSDTC
Event Category: SVC
Event ID: 53258
MS DTC could not correctly process a DC Promotion/Demotion event. MS DTC will continue to function and will use the existing security settings. Error Specifics: %1
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
To fix it carry out the following as found on http://blog.baeke.info/:
You might see the following MSDTC errors:
- Event with source MSDTC, ID 53258: MS DTC could not correctly process a DC Promotion/Demotion event. MS DTC will continue to function and will use the existing security settings. Error Specifics: %1
- Event with source MSDTC, ID 4439: Failed to verify MS DTC service account information. Internal Information : msdtc_trace : File: d:\srvrtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\adme\uiname.cpp, Line: 9390, VerifyAccountInfo: CService::Create failed, hr=0x80070005
To get rid of the first event, do the following:
- From Administrative Tools, start Component Services.
- In the MMC snap-in, go to Component Services, Computers, My Computer.
- Open the properties of My Computer and click the MSDTC tab.
- Click the button Security Configuration.
- Do not change anything, just click OK (silly, I know).
- Click OK again and then close the MMC.
Stop and start MSDTC. The event with ID 53258 should not appear anymore.