Sometimes we have a problem with Windows Update and Terminal server that messes with the protocol causing the following error:
The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol. Please try connecting to the remote computer again or contact your server administrator.
To fix this simply do the following:
- On the client, navigate to the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing.
- Click MSLicensing.
- On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
- In the File name box, type mslicensingbackup, and then click Save.
- If you need to restore this registry key in the future, double-click mslicensingbackup.reg.
- On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion of the MSLicensing registry subkey.
- Close Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
When the client is restarted, the missing registry key is rebuilt.